Let's Talk!

Getting STI Tested in Regional WA

07 May 2019 10:27 AM - By GTF Admin
Getting STI Tested in Regional WA

If you’re a young person living in regional Western Australia you’ve probably experienced the struggles with accessing sexual health services and information. It can seem really daunting getting an STI test in a community where everyone knows who you are.

We know that health services and more specifically sexual health services are much more sparse in regional WA than in Perth, but you may still have options in your area. While a local GP can test you for STIs there are also other, less obvious places that offer STI testing – think Headspace Centres, Peer Based Harm Reduction WA Centres, and hospitals. Check out Could I have it for a more extensive list of where you can get tested in your area.

If going into a clinic in person isn’t really your thing, you can use our Get the Facts online STI testing service. This offers a quick, easy, discreet and free STI self-risk assessment. If your assessment suggests you need a STI test, you can instantly complete a simple PathWest form, which you can then download and print. This test is free and you don’t need a Medicare card. Simply take your PathWest form into any PathWest Centre in WA for a test for chlamydia and gonorrhoea.

The thought of an STI test can be worrying, especially if you’ve never had one before. Remember that there’s nothing to be ashamed of – doctors and sexual health clinics do this kind of thing every day! Check out our STI tests page to ease your mind about what to expect when getting an STI test and if you need to, take a friend with you for that little bit of moral support.

Looking for more sexual health information? We’ve got you covered with our list of accurate and reliable websites. If there’s anything else that you can’t find the answer to you can use our confidential Ask a Question service and get an answer to that question you’ve always wanted to ask from a qualified health professional. If you’d prefer to speak to someone over the phone you can also speak to a qualified health professional from Sexual Health Quarters by calling the Sexual Health Helpline on 1800 198 205 from country WA.

Are you a young person living in regional WA and have any tips to share? Add a comment below!

Add Comment

Ask a Question!

Ask an anonymous question to a qualified Health Professional.

Read more