Tattoos take approximately 2 - 3 weeks to heal. Branding takes approximately 3 - 6 weeks to heal.
Below are some don'ts and dos to help your piercing to heal effectively.
- pick or scratch at a new tattoo – this will slow healing time and may lead to secondary infections
- soak a tattoo in water or other solutions – if you are in frequent contact with water, use a barrier cream over the site until healed
- over-use healing creams – only apply when it feels the skin is drying out
- swim until healed
- wear tight clothing over the tattoo, or clothing that has been washed in harsh detergents.
- follow the care advice you are given by the tattoo artist
- return to the body artist when advised, or if having problems
- ensure your hands are clean before touching a new tattoo (and don't let others touch it until it is healed)
- apply sunblock (SPF 15 - 30+) to prevent fading
- use the healing creams recommended by the studio.