They are reliable, easy to use, and can protect you from unplanned pregnancy and sexually transmitted infections (STIs).
Yep, I’m talking about condoms.
The condom is the only form of contraception that offers protection against both unplanned pregnancy and STIs. So if you are having sex, these guys are a must-have.
- Condoms are cheap and easily accessible. You can buy them from supermarkets, petrol stations and pharmacies.
- Condoms are really easy to use. Check out our how to use a condom – animation to see how to use condoms correctly.
- Condoms are small. They fit in pockets, wallets, and bags. No excuse not to carry one! BUT Condoms don’t like the sun – it can cause them to break so don’t store them in a sunny spot.
- Water-based lubricant is a condoms best friend. It will reduce friction, and prevent the condom from breaking.
- When used properly they are 98% effective at preventing unplanned pregnancy and STIs!
To be honest there really is nothing bad about condoms. The only thing worth mentioning is that condoms do not protect against ALL STIs like herpes and genital warts which are spread from skin to skin contact, as a person may have infected skin which is not covered by the condom.
There are heaps of myths about condoms. We have busted a few of these below: (so there is no excuse not to use one!)
- Condoms are hard to use: FALSE! Condoms are super easy to use. Have a look at our how to use a condom – animation
- Condoms often break or slip off: FALSE! If they are used correctly they will not break or slip. Don’t leave your condoms in the sun, or use your teeth to open the condom packet, and use water-based lubricant to prevent breakage.
- They make sex less enjoyable: FALSE! Yes, sex may feel a little different with a condom, but different doesn’t always mean worse. Lots of people say that sex feels better with a condom because they aren’t worried about STIs and unplanned pregnancy! There are lots of different types of condoms so shop around to find ones that work best for you!
- There isn't a condom that fits me… FALSE! Condoms come in so many different shapes and sizes. There is one to fit everyone.
Condoms come in different sizes, textures, colours and flavours – some even glow in the dark! Have fun trying different types to see what you like best.
Practice and play with condoms before you use them. The old “condom on banana game” (or any other banana shaped fruit or vegetable…) can be helpful to see how condoms work. See how fast you can put it (making sure that it doesn’t break!)
Remember that you can’t tell if a person has an STI based on how they look or where they are from. Many people with an STI will not know that they have one because they won’t have any symptoms.
Using a condom during sex will provide you with peace of mind that you are protecting your health and your partner’s health.
For more information have a look at our page on condoms and contraception
Feeling inspired? If you would like to write a blog post for Get the Facts email email@example.com with your ideas.